Sunday, April 26, 2009

Senator, TV Anchor Confirm Engagement

Senator, TV Anchor Confirm Engagement
Philippine Daily Inquirer
By: Michael Lim Ubac
April 25, 2009


MANILA, Philippines -- A wedding in time for an electoral battle.

On national television, Senator Mar Roxas, a presidential aspirant, confirmed rumors on Saturday that he and ABS-CBN television news anchor Korina Sanchez are engaged.

Roxas popped the question while they were together on a secluded beach resort in Bacolod two weeks ago, and Sanchez said she could not say no to the man of her dreams and her “prince charming.”

“Honey, will you marry me?” said Sanchez, recalling on ABS-CBN's noontime show, "Wowowee,” her fiance’s own words.

Sanchez said she did not expect the marriage proposal to come that soon, but told the senator: “Gusto ko lang sabihin, kahapon, ngayon at bukas, iyong-iyo ako [I am yours yesterday, today and tomorrow].”

Roxas told show host Willie Revillame that the setting was perfect when he proposed to Sanchez.

“It was nighttime, you can hear the crushing sound of the waves. What I said was, ‘You know that we were meant for each other. I would like to formally ask for your hand in marriage.' Every time I recall that, I have tears of joy,” Roxas said in a mixture of English and Filipino.

“Honey, we were together for a long time. You know how I feel about you. Buong-buo ang loob ko, walang tanong sa isip ko at sa puso ko, na tayo na nga habambuhay [There’s no doubt in my mind and in my heart, it’s you and I for life],” he said.

The love-struck couple did not say when they will tie the knot, but sources said it could be held in October.

During the show, Roxas stopped short of declaring his presidential candidacy, but vowed to fight poverty and provide opportunity for all should he become the country's 15th chief executive on June 30, 2010.

Wearing a diamond ring, Sanchez was all smiles as she held the hand of the senator, one of the country's most eligible and richest bachelors.

The three-carat diamond ring is a family heirloom, passed from the clan's matriarch, Ester Araneta, to the senator's mother, Judy Araneta-Roxas.

It now belongs to the bride-to-be of the scion of the influential Roxas clan.

“We were together for a long time. I’ve been a bachelor for too long. I had thought that I would remain so until I met Koring,” said the senator.

Asked by Revillame what qualities endeared her to him, he said, “What I know is I love her. She is the only one that put an end to my days as a bachelor.”

Sanchez said that compared to the men in her past relationships, “He’s the only one who’s sincere.”

At this point, he kissed her on the cheek even as he shed tears. She wiped his tears to the delight of the crowd at the studio.

Asked why he was crying, Roxas said he was “touched by what she said.”

Sanchez admitted that she had thought that this moment would never come -- that she would be single for life.

Shifting to politics, Revillame asked Roxas to comment on insinuations that Sanchez would be the one running the country if he ran and won the presidency.

“I love Korina. I really, really love her. She’s irreplaceable, but I will be the one making decisions. My dream is just like your dream, our dream -- that we can have a country that will provide equal opportunity to ordinary Filipinos. Equality for all,” said Roxas.

The interview ended with Revillame shouting, “Mabuhay!” as the bridal march played in the background.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

according to STIR.ph , korina will even file a leave of absence to campaign for mar.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home